Loughborough University
Browse
Hamrouni et al 2022 TV viewing, overweight, obesity and COVID-19.pdf (429.87 kB)

Television viewing time, overweight, obesity, and severe COVID-19: a brief report from UK Biobank

Download (429.87 kB)
journal contribution
posted on 2022-12-13, 09:01 authored by Malik Hamrouni, Matthew RobertsMatthew Roberts, Nicolette BishopNicolette Bishop

Background: Overweight and obesity are well-established risk factors for COVID-19 severity; however, less is known about the role of sedentary behaviours such as TV viewing. The purpose of this brief report was to determine whether lower TV viewing time may mitigate the risk of severe COVID-19 in individuals with excess weight.

Methods: We analysed 329 751 UK Biobank participants to investigate the independent and combined associations of BMI and self-reported TV viewing time with odds of severe COVID-19 (inpatient COVID-19 or COVID-19 death).

Results: Between March 16th and December 8th 2020, there were 1648 instances of severe COVID19. Per 1 unit (h/day) increase in TV viewing time, the odds of severe COVID-19 increased by 5% (adjusted odds ratio (OR) = 1.05, 95% confidence interval = 1.02–1.08). Compared to normal-weight individuals with low (≤1h/day) TV viewing time, the ORs for overweight individuals with low and high (≥4h/day) TV viewing time were 1.17 (0.89–1.55) and 1.66 (1.31–2.11), respectively. For individuals with obesity, the respective ORs for low and high TV viewing time were 2.18 (1.61–2.95) and 2.14 (1.69–2.73).

Conclusion: Higher TV viewing time was associated with higher odds of severe COVID-19 independent of BMI and moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. Additionally, low TV viewing time may partly attenuate the elevated odds associated with overweight, but not obesity.

Funding

National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Leicester Biomedical Research Centre

History

School

  • Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences

Published in

Journal of Physical Activity and Health

Volume

19

Issue

12

Pages

837-841

Publisher

Human Kinetics

Version

  • AM (Accepted Manuscript)

Rights holder

© Human Kinetics, Inc

Publisher statement

Accepted author manuscript version reprinted, by permission, from Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2022, 19 (12): 837-841, https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2022-0294. © Human Kinetics, Inc.

Acceptance date

2022-09-02

Publication date

2022-10-12

Copyright date

2022

ISSN

1543-3080

eISSN

1543-5474

Language

  • en

Depositor

Prof Lettie Bishop. Deposit date: 5 September 2022

Usage metrics

    Loughborough Publications

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC