- Cole, G., "Establishing a Research Data Management Service at Loughborough University", International Journal of Digital Curation (2016) 11:1, pp. 68-75
- Cole, G., Arming the Royal Navy, 1793–1815 The Office of Ordnance and the State (Pickering and Chatto, 2012)
- Cole, G., "Who has Command? the Royal Artillerymen aboard Royal Navy Warships in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars" in Doe, H. and Harding, R. (eds) Naval Leadership and Management, 1650-1950 (Boydell and Brewer, 2010)
- Cole, G.J., "Gunpowder manufacturers and the Office of Ordnance, 1793-1815" in Gestrich, A. and Schulte Beerbühl, M. (eds). Cosmopolitan Networks in Commerce and Society (London: German Historical Institute London, 2011) pp.293-314
- Cole, G.J., Royal Navy gunners in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. Mariner's Mirror (2009) 95 (3), pp. 284-295.